Frederick J. Kohm
National Managing Partner for the Services Industry & Partner, Forensic Advisory Services
Frederick J. Kohm, Jr. is a Partner in Grant Thornton LLP’s Forensic Advisory Services practice.
Frederick J. Kohm, Jr. has over 26 years of experience providing accounting and advisory services to his clients. In his capacity as a National Managing Partner for the Services Industry at Grant Thornton, and local Practice leader for Forensic Solutions in Philadelphia, Fred leads large complex engagements involving technical accounting, and fraud, bribery and corruption issues in Investigations, purchase price disputes, forensic accounting, and corporate compliance services in various industries, including Services, Life Sciences, Technology, Telecom and Media, and Financial Services, for public, privately held and not-for-profit organizations.
Prior to joining Grant Thornton in 2011, Fred was a Senior Managing Director for an international Public Accounting firm.
Supporting clients through the arbitration process, as both a neutral independent arbitrator, and consultant, Fred assists clients determine appropriate working capital adjustments and earn outs. His experience includes providing recommendations and decisions on disputes involving Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, as well as the application of accounting guidance in situations involving commercial contract issues that may deviate from the norm.
While leading large complex forensic accounting and investigative engagements, Fred serves his clients by providing consulting expertise and managing engagement teams in the US and across the globe. In this capacity, Fred regularly works with his colleagues in the US other countries investigating corporate compliance matters, bribery and corruption, and white-collar crime.
As an Expert witness, Fred has testified in Federal and State court in both bench and jury trials. He has testified as an Expert in Arbitration, and assisted clients in in other venues such as mediations. In addition, Federal Regulators have appointed Fred as an Independent Monitor, and the Bermuda Monetary Authority has appointed Fred as an Inspector with the responsibility of reporting to the Authority while investigating a large bankruptcy under their supervision.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Fred is dedicated to his profession as a Certified Public Accountant (licensed in Pennsylvania, Georgia and Florida) and is certified in financial forensics. For many years Fred has served on Committees for the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA), including the Forensic and Valuation Committee, the Financial Services Committee, and Insurance Industry Committee. He recently held the volunteer position as the Chair of the PICPA Insurance Industry Committee for two terms. Fred is a frequent speaker and MC at professional events and academic contributor to business schools at Philadelphia area Universities.
- Fred is active in his community in several ways, including serving on the board of directors for a not for profit organization in the Philadelphia Community. Currently he is President and Chair of the Board of Directors for the Corporate Alliance for Drug Education (CADE). For over 30 years, CADE has provided prevention counseling and student assistance programs to children in the public school district of Philadelphia.
Presentations and publications
Mr. Kohm is an experienced presenter in a variety of forums, including firm functions, national conferences, and webinars. His most recent presentations include:
- “Enforcement Activity - spotlight on technology and telecom industries”, Grant Thornton Webcast, January 13, 2023
- “Increased focus on compliance programs leading to greater FCPA enforcement”, live presentation at Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants conference, October 7, 2022
- “FCPA Enforcement and Investigations – Effective investigation strategies and adding value to compliance programs”, live presentation at Kentucky Institute of Certified Public Accountants conference, August 18, 2022
- “FCPA Enforcement picks up in life sciences”, Article published on Grant Thornton Amplify, May 17, 2022
- “Enforcement actions, a spotlight on Life Sciences”, Grant Thornton Webcast, April 13, 2022
- “Responding to issues regarding ESG data disclosure”, Grant Thornton Webcast, April 5, 2022
- “Insurance Fraud during the Pandemic”, Grant Thornton Webcast, January 19, 2022
- “Corporate Integrity Agreements: Requirements to Expect”, Grant Thornton Webcast, December 15, 2021
- “FCPA Enforcement Actions: A Spotlight on Tech & Telecom”, Grant Thornton Webcast, November 30, 2021
- “Healthcare Fraud – Pandemic Impacts and Financial Implications for the Industry”, Grant Thornton Webcast, May 25, 2021
- “FCPA Enforcement Actions: Lessons Learned”, Grant Thornton Webcast, March 17, 2021
- “Examining the AML Act of 2020 and Know Your Customer fraud within the PPP”, Grant Thornton Webcast, February 18, 2021
- “10 tips for facing tougher regulators – Preparing for compliance under the Biden administration”, Grant Thornton Amplify Article February. 2020.
- “Paycheck Protection Program fraud and Abuse”, Grant Thornton Webcast, January 28, 2021
- “Detecting Fraud, Part 2”, Grant Thornton Audit Training webinar January 21, 2021
- Millersville University, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration
- Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management, Advanced Strategy Programs
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, MBA – Kenan-Flagler Business School
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.