Frederick J. Kohm, Jr.
Frederick J. Kohm, Jr. is a Partner in Grant Thornton LLP’s Forensic Advisory Services practice.
Frederick J. Kohm, Jr. is a Partner in Grant Thornton LLP’s Forensic Advisory Services practice. In this capacity, Fred leads large complex investigations, forensic accounting services, and corporate compliance engagements in various industries for public, privately held and not-for-profit organizations.
Fred has over 25 years of financial and accounting experience across various industry sectors. Prior to joining Grant Thornton, he was a Senior Managing Director for an international Public Accounting firm, where he led the business valuation and forensic advisory services practice in Philadelphia. He has also held financial accounting positions in the private sector.
As he supports clients through the arbitration process, both as an independent arbitrator, and consultant, Mr. Kohm has assisted client navigate complex purchase price disputes and working capital adjustments. His experience includes providing recommendations and decisions on disputes involving Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, as well as the application of accounting guidance in situations involving commercial contract issues that may deviate from the norm.
As an Expert witness, Fred has testified as an Expert in Federal and State court in both bench and jury trials. He has testified as an Expert in Arbitration, and assisted clients in Mediation. In addition, Fred’s been appointed Independent Monitor by Federal Regulators, and appointed Inspector by the Bermuda Monetary Authority. Fred has also served clients as an Independent Arbitrator, assisting clients with purchase price and working capital disputes.
While leading large complex forensic accounting and investigative engagements, Fred serves his clients by providing consulting expertise and managing engagement teams in the US and across the globe. In this capacity, Fred regularly works with his colleagues in the US other countries investigating corporate compliance matters, bribery and corruption, and white-collar crime.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Dedicated to his profession as a Certified Public Accountant (Pennsylvania, Georgia and Florida) and Certified in Financial Forensics. For many years Fred has served on Committees for the Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA), including the Forensic and Valuation Committee, the Financial Services Committee, and Insurance Industry Committee. He is currently the Chair of the PICPA Insurance Industry Committee. Fred is a frequent speaker at professional events and Philadelphia area Universities.
- Fred is active in his community in several ways, including serving on the board of directors for several not for profit organizations in the Philadelphia Community. Currently he is President and Chair of the Board of Directors for the Corporate Alliance for Drug Education (CADE). For over 30 years, CADE has provided prevention counseling to children in the public school district of Philadelphia.
Presentations and publications
Mr. Kohm is an experienced presenter in a variety of forums, including firm functions, national conferences, and webinars. His most recent presentations include:
- “Investigation and Interview techniques”, Grant Thornton INDUS Training webinar Jan. 2020.
- “Effective Investigation techniques for internal Auditors and current trends”, Public Client presentations Spring 2019
- “Anti-corruption and Anti Bribery breakout presentations and case studies”, Charm City Payroll Association Conference, April 2018
- “The Perfect Storm - Lessons Learned while uncovering Fraud”, Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants Annual Insurance Conference, Dec. 2017
- Presentations covering “Asset miss appropriation and corruption scheme”, PCAOB Public Company Audit Training, Grant Thornton LLP, Sept. 2016
Mr. Kohm’s most recent publications in National publications include “Why a formal Fraud Risk Assessment Program Makes Sense”, Pennsylvania CPA Journal, Spring 2016
- BS in Business Administration - Millersville University