- Risk advisory
- Transaction advisory
John D. Barnes
John has more than 25 years of combined experience in internal audit, Sarbanes-Oxley, Specialty Attestation reports, external audit, performance audits and accounting consulting services. Prior to joining Grant Thornton in 2004, John held managerial position in a national accounting firm and an internal audit consulting firm. John is based in Cleveland, OH and leads our risk advisory services group in Ohio, Western Pennsylvania and Michigan. John's experiences include providing external audits and internal controls consulting within the COSO framework and coordinating such work with all of the Big Four accounting firms. He has managed complex multi-project engagements. He has overseen execution of multiple engagements including progress reporting and deadline management. His experience includes providing services to not-for-profit organizations, multi-national manufacturing firms, a software developer, government contractors, and retailers.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Risk Management Assurance (CRMA)
- Certified Public Accountant (Maryland and Ohio)
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Ohio Socitey of CPA's
- John is a current board member of Junior Achievement of Greater Cleveland, an advisory board member of the City Year Cleveland and and audit committee member of Greater Cleveland Food Bank. John is a graduate of the Leadership Cleveland Class of 2019. John is also on the accounting advisory board at Penn State, and a member of the Penn State Vasrsity S Club. John is a past member of the advisory board of NACD Greater Washington Chaperter, Greater Baltimore Committee and Arts of The Block and a prior president of The Penn State Varsity S Club.
- MBA, Finance, R.H. Smith School of Business,University of Maryland
- BS, Accounting and International Business, Pennsylvania State University
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.