Matthew A. Thompson
Matt serves as Grant Thornton’s IT Assurance East Region leader.
Raleigh, North Carolina
- Real estate and construction
- Technology and telecommunications
- Not-for-profit and higher education
- Hospitality and restaurants
Matt serves as Grant Thornton’s IT Assurance East Region leader. He has over 25 years’ experience working in IT Risk Management, IT Audit, and Cyber Security, including leading IT Risk Assessments, IT Internal Audits, IT External Audits, Cyber Security Assessments, PCI-DSS security assessments, Data Analytics, Robotics and Controls Automation, and Business Continuity Planning (BCP) / Disaster Recovery (DR) engagements. In addition, Matt has served as a CIO for a large public company.
Matt has worked with both public and private companies, in many industries including Distribution, Financial Services, Food and Beverage, Health Care, Hospitality and Restaurants, Life Sciences, Manufacturing, Telecommunications, Not for Profit, and Technology.
He has led international engagements in Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, China, Germany, Hong Kong, India, the Philippines, Mexico, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
- Former PCI-DSS Qualified Security Assessor (QSA)
- Formally held a Series 7 license
- Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA)
- Member of Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA)
- Board Member and Nominating Committee Chair for the IIA North Carolina Triad Chapter
- Former Board Member of the North Carolina Technology Association (NCTA)
Presentations and publications
- IIA General Audit Management (GAM) national conference
- IIA All Star national conference
- IIA International conference
- Multiple regional IIA regional conferences and local chapters in five states
- National IIA webinars
- ISACA Information Security and Risk Management national conference
- Raleigh ISACA local chapter
- National Automated Clearing House Association’s (NACHA) Payments conference
- National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) at two local chapters
- Earl N. Phillips School of Business at High Point University - BS in Business Administration and Economics with a minor in Computer Information Systems