Charlotte, North Carolina
- Transportation, logistics, warehousing and distribution
- State and local tax
Thomas M. Coley
Tom Coley is Grant Thornton’s Carolinas State and Local Tax practice leader. Tom has more than 20 years of public accounting experience, serving clients in the manufacturing, transportation, distribution, retail, technology and service industries. He specializes in state and local taxes, including multistate corporate income and franchise tax planning, ASC 740 analysis, compliance and refund reviews, audit defense, nexus studies, voluntary disclosures, and credits and incentives. Tom has extensive experience performing refund reviews, as well as filing, substantiating and securing refunds. He has experience managing tax audits and 50 state voluntary disclosure agreement projects.
He regularly assists clients with tax provision reviews and FIN 48 implementations and updates. He has extensive experience identifying, substantiating and calculating state tax credits in the southeastern United States. Additionally, he has assisted clients in identifying and obtaining discretionary state and local incentives. Prior to joining Grant Thornton, Coley spent more than four years with a Big Five public accounting firm. Before his public accounting experience, he spent five years in a manufacturing environment with a Fortune 10 corporation.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- CPA — North Carolina (#27607)
- North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants
- South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, Tax Committee
- Southeastern Association of Tax Administrators Industry Council, Grant Thornton Representative
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- BS, Business Administration, University of North Carolina – Charlotte
- BS, Accounting, University of North Carolina – Charlotte
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.