New York, New York
- Real estate and construction
- Asset management
- Private equity
- Strategic federal tax
- Restructuring and turnaround
- Valuation and modeling
- Employee benefit plan audits
- International audit
- Public finance
Markus leads Grant Thornton’s Digital Asset Practice and is the Partner-in-charge of the Northeast Financial Institutions Practice and an SEC and IFRS specialist. Markus has over 20 years of experience in the financial services industry and in public accounting.
Markus has led client services for a variety of multinational digital asset companies such as cryptocurrency exchanges, trading desks, digital asset custodians, wallet companies and payment processors for over 8 years. He leads audit and advisory engagements for a number of digital asset clients of the firm. As Digital Assets Practice Leader Markus has authored and developed our firm’s audit methodology and helped build our Blockchain technology center of excellence. Additionally, he leads audits of both public and private financial services organizations ranging from large multinational financial institutions to broker dealers and fintechs. He also leads internal audit and other risk management engagements as well as consulting projects on loan reviews, operational process reviews, post-merger integration, due diligence and asset securitization. Other areas of expertise include capital raises and IPOs. He also works and assists other offices with IFRS audits, reviews and conversions.
He works with a variety of digital asset companies, securities and commodities broker dealers, banks, REITs, BDCs, private equity groups, finance and investment companies. His clients include companies with multistate and multinational operations.
Prior to joining Grant Thornton LLP, Markus worked for Deloitte and RSM. He began his career in Europe with an affiliate of DZ BANK AG – one of Europe’s leading financial organizations.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Accounting Blockchain Coalition
- Member, AICPA’s Digital Assets Working Group
- Licensed as a CPA in New York, California, Massachusetts and North Carolina
- AICPA Revenue Recognition Special Task Force
- Banking Committee of the New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Institute of International Bankers
- New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants (NYSSCPA)
Presentations and publications
Markus presents frequently to industry groups and leads internal training courses. He also regularly speaks to trade groups and the business press about digital assets and Blockchain technology.
- Treasurer & Director, The German Forum (non-for-profit organization sponsoring the arts)
- Junior Achievement of New York
- Markus graduated from Pforzheim University in Germany with a master’s degree in Taxation and Accounting and also obtained an MBA from Fordham Graduate School of Business.
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.