Robert C. Michaelis
Managing Director, State and Local Tax
Rob has approximately twenty years of experience in the tax industry.
- State and local tax
Rob has approximately twenty years of experience in the tax industry. Prior to joining Grant Thornton, Rob spent approximately ten years with Big Four accounting firms, namely with PricewaterhouseCoopers most recently as a director in the state and local tax practice. Additionally, Rob spent over three years with RSM McGladrey, and was a partner and the practice leader of the Great Lakes regional SALT practice. Rob has also spent two years as the vice president of tax for an $18 billion distributor of grocery products which was structured with S corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies.
In such roles, Rob has gained significant experience in providing strategic tax planning and restructuring services, along with due diligence/transition review and state tax compliance services (for corporations, S corporations and partnerships), which has covered not only income/franchise taxes, but also sales/use taxes, property taxes, and state employment taxes, as well. Additionally, Rob has experience in unclaimed property issues.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Certified Public Accountant - Illinois
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants - Member
Presentations and publications
- Rob instructs and presents at various internal firm tax development programs and national webcast programs. He has also presented at various professional organization events, including bar associations and CPA societies as well as industry organizations such as TEI and COST.
- Northern Illinois University, BS, Accounting
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.