- Real estate and construction
- Private equity
- State and local tax
Drew VandenBrul has over 26 years of experience as a state & local tax professional advising companies across all industries on complex Pennsylvania and multistate tax planning, tax controversy, transaction and compliance matters, including income, franchise, realty transfer and sales & use taxes.
His time in Philadelphia includes 10 years with Arthur Andersen, over 4 years with Exelon Corporation, and 11 years with KPMG, where he was most recently a State & Local Tax Partner.
Drew has served middle-market companies, private equity funds, and publicly-traded traded companies in the real estate, telecommunications, private equity, manufacturing, power & utilities, automotive, life sciences, and healthcare industries.
Drew regularly consults with companies and economic development agencies on complex matters involving Pennsylvania’s Keystone Opportunity Zone (KOZ) program, including qualificiation for, and quantification of tax benefits.
As an adjunct professor in the Villanova Graduate Tax program, Drew recently developed and delivered an advanced course on state and local tax issues in business transactions.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Drew is a member of the AICPA and an active member of the state and local tax committees of the PICPA, Tax Executives Institute (TEI), and Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce (co-chair). He served on the 2003 Philadelphia Tax Reform Commission.
- Drew was a contributing author for the Pennsylvania Tax Handbook (2000-2010) and has spoken before many organizations, including PICPA, TEI, National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT), Edison Electric Institute (EEI), Broadband Tax Institute (BTI), Institute for Professionals in Taxation (IPT), and Villanova and Temple University Schools of Law.
- Drew is actively invovled in community organizations, including the Garnet Valley High School Performing Arts Association, Natural Lands Trust, and the Nicholas Newlin Foundation.
- Drew received his Bachelor of Science in Accounting and Finance from Lehigh University and his Masters of Taxation from Villanova University.
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.