Tax Court denies corporate interest deduction


The Tax Court has held in Short Stop Electric, Inc. v. Commissioner (T.C. Memo 2023-114) that loans made by a corporation’s majority shareholder were capital contributions to the corporation rather than debt.


The case addressed a C corporation (Short Stop) owned by a husband (96% ownership) and wife (4%) (Mr. and Mrs. Boyum). Mr. Boyum owned 96% of Short Stop and Mrs. Boyum owned the remaining 4%. Short Stop had adopted the cash method of accounting.


Since 2009, Mr. Boyum extended a revolving line of credit to Short Stop, granting it the right to borrow up to $1 million with a maturity date of December 2019. The agreement had no stated interest, but Mr. Boyum would determine the interest rate of the loan each year retroactively. 


The agreement required monthly payments of interest, but allowed the corporation to add any unpaid interest to the principal of the loan. If the interest payments were not paid within 10 days of its due date, the loan would be in default and Mr. Boyum could demand payment and interest immediately. 


The interest payments were generally all treated as additions to the principal of the loan rather than paid in cash. As a result, Short Stop deducted the interest expense on its return and the Boyums included the interest in gross income on their joint return.


The Court agreed with the IRS that the interest deductions of Short Stop should be disallowed because the purported loans under the line of credit had more characteristics of equity than debt. Specifically, the court’s decision was based on the following:

  • The interest rate for the loan was based on the corporation’s ability to pay and was determined by reviewing the general market and the corporation’s well-being.
  • The reason for the debt arrangement was that, upon retirement or eventual sale of the corporation, he would be entitled to a repayment of the loan instead of paying capital gain.
  • Another reason for the line of credit was the fact that the corporation was unable to secure other financing from outside banks without him personally securing the loans with his personal assets. 
  • Short Stop’s non-payment triggered a default that gave Mr. Boyum the right to demand payment but he never did.

Without interest deductions, the corporation largely had no net operating losses to carry forward to the relevant tax years. In addition, the corporation had deducted various personal expenses of Mr. Boyum that were also at issue.



Tax professional standards statement

This content supports Grant Thornton LLP’s marketing of professional services and is not written tax advice directed at the particular facts and circumstances of any person. If you are interested in the topics presented herein, we encourage you to contact us or an independent tax professional to discuss their potential application to your particular situation. Nothing herein shall be construed as imposing a limitation on any person from disclosing the tax treatment or tax structure of any matter addressed herein. To the extent this content may be considered to contain written tax advice, any written advice contained in, forwarded with or attached to this content is not intended by Grant Thornton LLP to be used, and cannot be used, by any person for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

The information contained herein is general in nature and is based on authorities that are subject to change. It is not, and should not be construed as, accounting, legal or tax advice provided by Grant Thornton LLP to the reader. This material may not be applicable to, or suitable for, the reader’s specific circumstances or needs and may require consideration of tax and nontax factors not described herein. Contact Grant Thornton LLP or other tax professionals prior to taking any action based upon this information. Changes in tax laws or other factors could affect, on a prospective or retroactive basis, the information contained herein; Grant Thornton LLP assumes no obligation to inform the reader of any such changes. All references to “Section,” “Sec.,” or “§” refer to the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.


More tax hot topics