- Asset management
- Life sciences
- Private equity
- Real estate and construction
- Technology and telecommunications
Sven Stumbauer is a senior financial crimes compliance professional and leader of Grant Thornton LLP’s Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Sanctions practice. Based in Miami, Stumbauer uses his extensive cryptocurrency, AML, sanctions and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act acumen to further bolster and expand Grant Thornton’s financial crimes capabilities.
Stumbauer boasts more than 20 years of financial crimes, AML, sanctions compliance, anti-bribery and anti-corruption experience. He has extensive practice leading complex, high-profile projects and providing advisory services to financial institutions in the United States and more than 60 countries around the world.
Stumbauer has led many of the largest global regulatory investigations and remediation programs in financial crime, as well as the design and delivery of financial-crime operating models for major institutions. He advised some of the world’s most prominent financial institutions and global businesses on strategic initiatives, leading and streamlining processes, and assisting businesses to achieve strategic goals and effective compliance. Stumbauer has also collaborated with C-level executives and members of the board to evaluate, propose, and deliver effective change and transformation. Additionally, he has served as an independent monitor in prominent enforcement actions around the world.
Stumbauer’s experience with various regulatory bodies includes the following:
- U.S.: Department of Justice, Office of Foreign Assets Control, Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, Securities and Exchange Commission, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, Federal Reserve Bank, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, and New York State Department of Financial Services
- U.K.: Financial Conduct Authority
- Singapore: Monetary Authority of Singapore
- Hong Kong: Hong Kong Monetary Authority, Securities and Futures Commission
- Japan: Financial Services Agency
- South Korea: Financial Services Commission
- Germany: Federal Financial Supervisory Authority
- Switzerland: Swiss Financial Market Supervisory Authority
- Mexico: Comisión Nacional Bancaria y de Valores and Office of the Attorney General
- Guatemala: Banco de Guatemala
- Colombia: Office of the Attorney General
- Panama: Ministerio de Comercio e Industrias
Presentations and publications
A published thought leader in several well-known publications and frequent speaker at leading industry conferences, Stumbauer regularly provides briefings to U.S. and foreign regulatory bodies and governmental agencies on emerging issues pertaining to financial crimes.
- MBA – Georgia Institute of Technology
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.