Andrew is a Managing Director in Grant Thornton’s Financial Services practice with a focus on Compliance Risk in the Broker Dealer, Asset and Wealth Management area. Andrew has worked in both the in-house legal and compliance fields throughout his career within the broker dealer, asset management and banking industry with large and small, regional and international investment banks in developing and implementing compliance programs and providing guidance on internal audit programs on a local and international level. Some of his experience includes:
- Led large audit engagement on review of the trade reporting lifecycle for a large broker dealer/asset manager including supervision/ monitoring of trade activities resulting in successful resolution of a consent order
- Led cash management audit at a large pension fund
- Managed Regulatory Mapping project for large broker dealer mapping controls/processes to policies and business units.
- Led several engagements on controls testing and review of compliance, investment regulatory filings and audit programs including policies and procedures for broker dealers, investment advisors and asset management firms
- Supervised audit reviews and assessments of the Compliance Risk Framework for broker dealers and asset managers leading to control and process improvements
- Provided regulatory guidance on compliance testing to several large broker dealers on review of procedures and controls for weekly/month-end reserve requirements for 15c3-3 and 15c3-1 computations and identified and addressed weaknesses in processes and controls
- Advised on supervision and monitoring of portfolio managers for a large asset management firm
- As CCO, oversaw compliance and development of policies for trading desks including swap dealer, fixed income, equities, repo, and riskless principal trading
- Successfully managed internal audits as well as external audits from FINRA, SEC, CFTC, NFA and FRB
- As CCO, developed conduct risk program for the front office based on the UK MAR.
- Strong expertise in regulatory change and proven leadership in guiding several firms in developing strong policies and procedures and internal controls.
- Advised sales and trading, including structured products and FX, capital markets and banking on potential conflicts of interest and regulatory interpretation
- Led compliance efforts on Dodd-Frank regulation, Volcker, derivatives, swaps, clearing and related matters
- Strong knowledge of SEC, FINRA and CFTC rules
- Experienced in UK and Japanese securities regulations
Prior to joining Grant Thornton, Andrew worked for 8 years as a Chief Compliance Officer and AMLCO for Ally Securities (part of Ally Financial) and MUFG’s US-based broker dealer, as well as its Canadian subsidiary. Andrew also held the same positions at an investment banking boutique firm. In addition, Andrew has held senior compliance/legal roles with RBC, Bank of New York, Citigroup and DTCC.