Washington DC, Washington DC
- Strategic federal tax
- Tax reporting and advisory
- Tax innovation
- Mergers and acquisitions
Greg Fairbanks is a Managing Director with the Corporate Tax group at Grant Thornton's Washington National Tax Office. Within this group, Greg provides consultation on corporate and transaction matters including consolidated return issues, section 382 analyses, cancellation of debt/section 108 analyses, stock basis analyses, e%26p analyses, corporate formations, liquidations, mergers, acquisitions, distributions, redemptions and other general corporate tax matters.
Prior to joining Grant Thornton, Greg worked for 4 years at Deloitte %26 Touche's National Tax Office. Greg also worked with the Council On State Taxation (COST) as a fellow.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Member, ABA (Taxation) and NYSBA (Tax) - New York State Bar Association
- Licensed Attorney (New York)
Presentations and publications
- Greg serves as an Editor for the Tax Clinic in The Tax Adviser, published by the AICPA.
- Greg has also spoken numerous times at Tax Executive Institute forums and American Bar Association conferences.
Greg has authored numerous articles on issues related to NOL usage including section 382 as it relates to ownership changes, section 108 as it relates to attribute reduction as a result of cancellation of indebtedness, and other consolidated return matters. A sample of such articles includes the following:
- Computing the Research Credit for Consolidated Groups
- Proposed Sec. 382 Regs Simplify Small Shareholder Treatment
- Tax Court Decision Favorable For Captive Insurance Risk Distribution Qualification
- Final Unified Loss Regulation Basics
- Interpreting SEC Forms for Section 382 Purposes
- Entity Simplification E&P Traps
- Scouts BSA - Cubmaster for Pack 98 and Troop Committee
- Member for Troop 248 and Troop 98
- LL.M. in Taxation, Georgetown University Law Center, with distinction
- J.D., North Carolina Central University, cum laude
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.