Scott D. Steffens
Scott Steffens works with not-for-profit, higher education, and professional services organizations. Steffens has served religious entities, cultural institutions, membership associations, hospitals, law firms and private universities for more than 29 years.
Washington DC, Washington DC
- Not-for-profit and higher education
Scott Steffens works with not-for-profit, higher education, and professional services organizations. Steffens has served religious entities, cultural institutions, membership associations, hospitals, law firms and private universities for more than 29 years. He spent the first 20 years of his career with a Big Four firm in the external audit practice, specializing in not-for-profit, health care and service clients. Steffens has served as engagement partner on clients in multiple states and specializes in providing financial reporting, due diligence and risk assessments. He has extensive knowledge of state and federal reporting requirements under the Uniform Guidance and has participated in several initial debt offerings and the refinancing of existing obligations.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- CPA — Illinois, Virginia
- Illinois CPA Society: Board Chairperson, 2016-2017; Board member, 2013 to present; Endowment Board member, 2011 to present; Diversity Initiatives Task
- Force, 2011 to present
- Big Shoulders Fund, board member 2015 to present
- DePaul University, College of Commerce, Dean’s Advisory Board, Endowment Committee
- Eriskon Institute, board member 2011 to present
Presentations and publications
- Co-author, “Perpetual Care Issues for Catholic Cemeteries,” August 2013.
- Co-author, “The 2011 Agenda for the Non-Profit Audit Committee,” The Governance Institute’s E-Briefings, January 2011.
- Co-author, “Corporate Governance Challenges: When Auditors Must Push Back,” AHLA Connections, October 2010.
- Speaker, Alford Group, “Self-Generated Income: Surviving or Thriving — A Strategic Path to Sustainability and Mission Enhancement,” April 6, 2011.
- Moderator, National Association of Black Accountants, “Enhancing Your Career by Obtaining Advanced Degrees and Certifications,” 2011.
- BS, Accounting, DePaul University