Mr. Nelson is a Principal in Grant Thornton’s Advisory service line and Organizational Transformation sub-service line. He leads Grant Thornton public sector’s asset and supply chain management solutions, co-leads the Department of State Account, and is a Senior Fellow with the Asset Leadership Network.
Mr. Nelson has provided asset and supply chain management strategy, technology, and analytics across the public and private sector for nearly twenty years. As a result, clients have reduced operating costs by over $300M, fielded advanced technologies in an efficient and effective manner, and established accountable and data driven means for strategy and performance management. Mr. Nelson has supported the public sector transportation, defense, homeland security, diplomatic, and infrastructure arenas as well as the higher education, hospitality, and retail industries. As a leader in asset and supply chain management, Mr. Nelson publishes articles on data analytics and acquisition, leads industry working groups, and regularly presents at conferences on business process improvement, data analytics, and ISO 55000 Asset Management.
He received a B.A. from Florida International University, an MPA from American University, was a visiting post-graduate scholar for public financial management at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and is a graduate of the Grant Thornton Advanced Manager Programme. Mr. Nelson has received awards for work on a Non-Profit Board supporting underserved youth in the District of Columbia and several other non-profit and governmental institutions.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Certified Professional Contract Manager (CPCM)
- A55K ISO 55000 Asset Management
Presentations and publications
- The Future of Assets, Panelist as part of the 2020 Asset Leadership Forum – Restructuring America 2020
- Federal Law Enforcement Asset Leadership, Panelist as part of the 2020 Asset Leadership Forum – Restructuring America 2020
- Mission Readiness in the New Normal, Panelist for The Performance Institute – Government Performance Summit, 2020
- Conquering the 800 Pound Gorilla – Optimizing the Asset Management Portfolio while Meeting Mission in Uncertain Budget Times, Association of Military Comptrollers Professional Development Institute Annual Conference, 2019;
- Towards a National Asset Leadership Strategy, Presentation at Asset Leadership Week, 2019
- Performance-based Fleet Management to Guard U.S. Borders, Presentation at American Society for Quality World Conference, 2017;
- Managed Creativity: Balancing the Drive for Innovative Thinking with Preserving a Level Playing Field in Acquisition, Publication in Public Manager, December 2016;
- Data Analytics and the Changing Acquisition Paradigm, Presentation at National Contract Management Association World Congress, 2016;
- American University, Master of Public Administration
- Florida International University, Bachelor of Arts