- Real estate and construction
- Retail and consumer products
- Technology and telecommunications
- Transportation, logistics, warehousing and distribution
- Restructuring and turnaround
- Forensics investigations and disputes
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Technology alliances
John D. Baumgartner is a Managing Director in Grant Thornton’s restructuring practice. He has more than 19 years of consulting, restructuring, and corporate finance experience. He provides interim management services, and his experience includes serving as Chief Restructuring Officer and interim Chief Financial Officer. He has been involved with financial and operational restructurings, viability analyses, solvency analyses, valuation of assets and enterprises, asset divestitures, and due diligence. He has advised trustees, debtors, senior lenders, mezzanine lenders, and unsecured creditors of companies in industries that include real estate, healthcare, power and utilities, retail gas marketing, retail power marketing, midstream energy companies, web hosting/e-commerce, transportation, and retail services. John also serves as a post-confirmation trustee and as a state court-appointed trustee. John regularly serves as an expert witness, with experience in fraudulent conveyance dispute, preference recoveries and related litigation
Presentations and publications
- “13-Week Cash Forecast – Insights Lead to Action,” Financier Worldwide, October 2020
- “Impact of Credit Bidding on Oil and Gas Bankruptcy Recoveries,” AIRA Journal, Vol. 31, No. 1, 2017
- “Challenges in Higher Education,” The SRR Journal, Fall 2016
- “How Credit Bidding is Impacting Oil and Gas Bankruptcy Recoveries,” The SRR Journal, Fall 2014
- “Chapter 11—The New Critical Path.” Presentation to the City Bar of New York, October 2008.
- “Case Study of a Hypothetical Big 3 Auto Manufacturer Restructuring.” TMA Houston, Fall Continuing Education Program, September 2009.
- “Increase in Prepackaged Bankruptcies Likely to Continue.” The Journal of Corporate Renewal, October 2010.
- “Emerging Issues in Bankruptcy Litigation: Fraudulent Transfers and Preferences” Presentation to the 2011 University of Texas School of Law Bankruptcy Conference
- “Who Really Is Your Client ... No, Really??” Presentation to the State Bar of Texas Advanced Business Bankruptcy Conference 2012
- “Credit Bidding in Oil and Gas Bankruptcies”, Presentation to Houston Chapter of the Inns of Court, November 2014
- “Oilfield Service Industry Update,” Commercial Finance Association, Hosted by Winstead PC, May 12, 2015
- “Oil and Gas Restructurings: Helping Financial Institutions Deal with the Impact of Declining Oil and gas Prices”, Anderson Kill Banking and Lending Practice Presentation, May 19, 2016
- “Risky Business: Lending in Distressed Times”, joint presentation with Jackson & Walker LLP, September 22, 2016
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.