- Human capital services
Gary is a Managing Director in Grant Thornton’s Human Capital Services Consulting Practice. He is based in Charlotte, North Carolina and serves as practice lead for higher education consulting for all Human Capital Services projects with universities, colleges and university systems and associations.
At Grant Thornton, Gary supports clients nationwide and globally as a trusted advisor and team leader across the full HCS spectrum of offerings. He serves colleges, universities, university systems, academic health systems and university-affiliated hospital and care systems throughout the U.S. His experience also includes college associations and university consortia, at the local, state and national levels.
Gary’s teams have served more than 300 public and private institutions and university systems. His consulting engagements have included a diverse and complex range of engagements in the areas of total rewards/employee benefits strategy and implementation, active and retiree health benefits design, faculty/staff benefits optimization analyses, executive compensation and broad based compensation design, performance incentive programs, HR/organizational strategy and redesign, HR operations reviews, and public policy issues. He has deep experience working with a wide range of shared governance models within both public and private higher education institutions.
Through Grant Thornton’s national one-firm client service model, Gary also leads HCS collaboration with the Advisory and Compliance/Tax practices to provide a full range of human capital strategy, institutional/ operational improvement, IT (strategy and planning, cybersecurity, disaster recovery planning) risk assessment, fraud prevention, multi-state tax compliance, and analytic/ actuarial services -- bringing the best possible resources to each client engagement, regardless of financial considerations or geographic location.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Gary is admitted to the practice of law (inactive status) before the Supreme Court of Minnesota, U.S. District Court, and the U.S. Tax Court. He has served on boards of directors of not-for-profit associations and charitable organizations including the National Business Coalition on Health, Minnesota Health Data Institute and Mission: Moving Mountains, Inc.
Presentations and publications
- Gary has served as presenter or moderator at numerous higher education and healthcare-related gatherings, including APLU national meetings, CUPA-HR national and regional conferences, TIAA national client meetings, the Forum for the Future of Higher Education, Creating a Healthcare System That Works national conferences, the Advisory Council Symposium of the Foundation of the American Academy of Ophthalmology, and more.
- BA, Bethel University (MN)
- JD, University of Minnesota Law School
- MBA, Washington University in St. Louis, Olin School of Business
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.