Brian is a Managing Director in Grant Thornton’s Restructuring practice based out of Charlotte, NC.
Charlotte, North Carolina
- Not-for-profit and higher education
- Restructuring and turnaround
- Mergers and acquisitions
Brian is a Managing Director in Grant Thornton’s Restructuring practice based out of Charlotte, NC. He has served in the capacity of an advisor to company management as well as secured lenders and unsecured creditors. He specializes in financial modeling, forecasting, strategic planning and review, business plan development and assessment, and corporate bankruptcy advisory.
Brian has over 15 years of advisory experience across a range of industries, including health care, higher education, not-for-profit, financial services and commercial real estate. He has extensive experience in international business, including advising clients onsite in China, Israel and Saudi Arabia. His primary responsibilities have included advising on financial distress, developing 13-week cash flows, developing three statement integrated financial models, assisting clients during restructuring and bankruptcies and assisting with the development of bankruptcy reporting.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Certified Insolvency and Restructuring Advisor (CIRA) and Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- Past President, Board Member, Council for Children’s Rights
Presentations and publications
- “How higher education can weather endowment declines” – Grant Thornton publication, Aug. 24, 2022
- Real Estate Implications of COVID-19 on Senior Living Business Models, American Bankruptcy Institute Annual Spring Meeting, April 30, 2022
- CARES Act for Healthcare Organizations: A Practical Guide to Navigating Legal and Financial Issues and Complying with Mandatory Reporting and OIG Audits – Grant Thornton and Buchanan Ingersoll & Rooney Webinar, February 3, 2021
- “Move your health system into a ‘Safety Zone’” – Grant Thornton publication, Jan. 6, 2021
- “Is your health system in a ‘Safety Zone?’” – Grant Thornton publication, Sept. 21, 2020
- “What boards can do to keep health systems solvent” – Grant Thornton publication, Sept. 18, 2020
- Healthcare Bankruptcies, North Carolina Bar Association 43rd Annual Bankruptcy Institute, Dec. 10, 2020
- Anti-Trust and Pro-Competitive Trends and Considerations in Healthcare Transactions, Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Large System Controller Council (LSCC) – Feb. 20, 2020, co-presented with Stephen Thome
- The Criticality of Critical-Access Hospitals, American Bankruptcy Institute Health Care Committee Newsletter - August 2019, co-authored with Rob Vanderbeek
- Chapter 11 Special Issues: Focus on Health Care - Financial Poise Webinar, June 19, 2019
- Modeling for Mission: Creating a Multi-year Financial Plan – Grant Thornton LLP Not-for-Profit Quarterly Seminar, Jan. 25, 2019
- Guest Lecturer on “Financial Statement Analysis” and “Strategy in Organizations in the Health Care Sector” for the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Master's in Public Health program and Emory University’s Goizueta Business School, numerous times
- MBA, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- BSBA, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.