New York, New York
- Real estate and construction
- Transportation, logistics, warehousing and distribution
- Retail and consumer products
- Hospitality and restaurants
- Valuation and modeling
- Restructuring and turnaround
- Forensics investigations and disputes
- Mergers and acquisitions
Rob has more than 25 years of restructuring, performance improvement and due diligence as well as litigation, valuation and forensic experience in a broad range of industries, including healthcare, energy, financial services, transportation & trucking, manufacturing, mortgage products, real estate, retail, hospitality, equipment leasing and distribution.
- Led many distressed companies through the restructuring and sales processes, both in and out of court, for various constituents; Served as interim COO and other interim mandates related to complex cases; Played key roles in operational cost rationalization efforts as well as a fiduciary in litigation support and forensic investigations.
- Assisted interim CFO and Treasurer of Kmart, in its fast-track bankruptcy reorganization; Monitored liquidity, asset sales, DIP compliance, store closing activities and executory contract review process.
- Served as financial advisor to Unsecured Creditors’ Committee for National Energy & Gas Transmission; Monitored extensive Section 363 sales processes.
- Served as financial advisor to the Unsecured Creditors’ Committee for Ultimate Electronics; Pursued a parallel path of going concern sale and GOB liquidation; Served as financial advisor to subsequent Plan Administrator to pursue avoidance actions and settle claims.
- Advised the Chapter 11 Trustee in the Thornburg Mortgage bankruptcy and oversaw the wind-down of a $24 billion failed REIT; Conducted asset sales and pursued insider claims and potential causes of action.
- Served as financial advisor to a principal creditor group in National Amusements restructuring.
- Advised North Oakland Medical Center regarding strategic alternatives; Prepared company for bankruptcy to facilitate a sale to physician group.
- Advised Chapter 11 Trustee, Richard C. Breeden (former Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission) on the Bennett Funding Group matter (a $570 million securities fraud case); Investigated the large ponzi schemes multi-pledged leases and reconstructed the books and records.
- Served as interim Treasurer in connection with bankruptcy investigation in of a failed Section 1031 tax exchange roll-up; Investigated amounts borrowed by affiliated companies; Oversaw wind-down of business and closure of offices.
- Appointed by the United States Department of Justice as Chapter 11 examiner for In Re John Patrick Ball to perform funds tracing and investigate allegations of impropriety in connection with several estate matters.
- Advised bondholders of power generation facility at JFK Airport; Assessed validity of projections; Evaluated project economics and ability to meet debt service obligations in support of debt restructuring negotiations.
- Prior to joining Grant Thornton, served as a Managing Director at Goldin Associates, a financial advisory boutique where he was as a member of the Management Committee and ranked in the Top 25 Crisis Management Professionals in Deal League Tables for six years.
- Before joining Goldin, served as a Managing Director in the Restructuring & Turnaround practice at Huron Consulting Group.
- Prior to that, worked in the restructuring practices of AlixPartners, FTI and PwC.
- Earlier in his career, worked as a bank examiner at the Federal Reserve Bank of New York for several years.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor
- Certification in Distressed Business Valuation
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Association of Insolvency & Restructuring Advisors
- Turnaround Management Association
- Bachelor of Science, Lehigh University
- Master of Business Administration, New York University Stern School of Business
- Juris Doctor, Pace University School of Law
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.