New York, New York
- Asset management
- Hospitality and restaurants
- Not-for-profit and higher education
- Private equity
- Retail and consumer products
- Operations and performance
- Commercial and growth
- Restructuring and turnaround
- Transaction advisory
Johnny J. Lee
Johnny is a Managing Director in Grant Thornton’s Advisory Services Practice. He has over 20 years of restructuring, interim management, transaction and accounting experience working with public and private companies, private equity firms, lenders/creditors or other parties of interest.
Johnny’s recent experience includes serving as interim CFO for a senior long term care provider and managed care plan. Formerly $1 billion in revenue and over 3,000 employees, he assisted in the sale of various non-core assets and businesses as part of a broader strategy to recapitalize its main business unit and implement a turnaround plan. Prior to serving as interim CFO, he served as interim Chief Operating Officer to develop and implement the turnaround plan
His interim management experience also includes serving as interim Chief Financial Officer for a subsidiary of a multi-billion revenue global telecommunications company. He developed cash forecasting models, financial projections, quarterly/annual budgets and assisted in negotiations of the sale of the subsidiary, including diligence efforts to close the sale. As interim CFO, he was also responsible for quantifying and correcting the effects of certain accounting considerations while working with the corporate parent controller and external auditors to obtain audit sign off.
Johnny focus includes serving in an advisory capacity to companies, boards, or lenders in developing or reviewing forecasts, budgets or business plans either in the normal course of business or as part of a transaction. He has led many transaction teams in a sale or purchase from a variety of industries, situations and size including:
- Casa Grande Regional Medical Center in its sale of assets in bankruptcy for approx. $100 million
- A large managed care plan in its regulatory approval to commit over $1 billion and integrate a network of hospitals and physicians
- A private outsourcing/ services company in an over $100 million purchase of a major competitor
- Foreign financial buyer in its bid of over $2 billion for aerospace manufacturer in bankruptcy.
His focus area on transactions has included dealing with merger integration or sale separation issues, accounting treatment and technical guidance, valuation and purchase price adjustment concerns, working capital changes, regulatory approval considerations, funding or financing commitments, and employee union and other key stakeholders support for the transaction.
Johnny regularly serves as a technical resource and subject matter expert on audit teams, assists in due diligence and quality of earnings review, and advises in lender or creditor negotiations. He is also well experienced in working with other professionals such as investment bankers, attorneys, auditors, tax advisors, and PR/media relation firms.
Prior to Grant Thornton, Johnny was as a manager in the Reorganization Services Group at Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP and worked in the Accounting and Finance department of Gap Inc.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), New York
- Certified Insolvency & Restructuring Advisor (CIRA)
- Board member, Turnaround Management Association (TMA) – NY Chapter
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- Member, Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors (AIRA)
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI)
- Bachelor of Science in Finance and Accounting, State University of New York - Buffalo
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.