New York, New York
- Real estate and construction
- Technology and telecommunications
- Not-for-profit and higher education
- Transportation, logistics, warehousing and distribution
- Retail and consumer products
- State and local tax
Art Burkard is a managing director with Grant Thornton’s Metro New York/New England market territory State and Local Tax practice. Burkard was a law clerk with the New York State Tax Appeals Tribunal and has more than 21 years of public accounting experience at Grant Thornton, KPMG and Deloitte & Touche. Burkard specializes in all areas of state and local taxation, with an emphasis on multistate corporate income tax, franchise tax, and sales and transactions taxes.
He serves diverse client groups, including retail and manufacturing, financial services, construction, publishing, and telecommunications. Burkard focuses primarily on tax controversy services, tax transactional consulting, and has assisted clients in identifying and implementing tax planning strategies that have resulted in significant tax savings. He has also spoken to groups at the Tax Executives Institute, the Council on State Taxation, IPT, the Business Council of New York State and many others.
Professional qualifications and memberships
- Bar Member — Connecticut, New York
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation, CMI, Sales Tax
- New York City Bar Association, State and Local Taxation Committee
- LLM, New York University School of Law
- JD, New York Law School
- BA, History, State University of New York at Buffalo
Search for people at Grant Thornton
Enter a name and/or keywords such as service area, industry or location to get to know our business leaders — partner, principal or managing director. We look forward to hearing from you.