The 2016 American Society of Military Comptrollers Survey of Financial Management (FM) professionals provides some historical context and assesses trends from previous year’s surveys. This retrospective look revealed many insightful trends and captures key areas of challenges that have endured at least as far back as the beginning of the Obama Administration. These areas include:
- Fiscal Constraint and Budget Uncertainty
- Information Technology Modernization
Survey responses and engagement with the Defense Financial Management community drives a number of common sense recommendations for the new administration:
- Take advantage of the tremendous leadership and expertise existing in the defense financial management workforce at all levels to enhance and accelerate auditability.
- Focus initial management attention on recruiting, developing, and retaining financial managers, paying particular attention to quality of work issues, including benefits, stability, and job satisfaction.
- Conduct a comprehensive review of Financial Management Information Technology modernization efforts with the goals of rapid implementation of planned systems, where it makes sense, and ruthless elimination of legacy systems.
- Develop mitigation strategies, which minimize the impact on the financial management workforce of persistent budgeting by Continuing Resolution and brinksmanship.
- Early and sustained endorsement of the Department’s quest for auditability by all leaders (regardless of community, rank, or position); progress toward auditability should be included in performance evaluations of all leaders.
A new administration will soon take power and the workforce must adapt to new leadership, all while ensuring the readiness of our men and women in uniform around the world. While we identify many areas where improvement is needed in financial management, we must also acknowledge that the FM workforce has constantly improved their craft over the years of this survey and ensured that our warriors at the tip of the spear have every resource at their disposal to persevere and win. Our survey is intended to highlight issues and solutions that can help them reach even greater heights.
Download the full 2016 Survey of Defense Financial Management Executives - Preparing for the future: Lessons learned from 10 Years of ASMC surveys