Close
Close

Target not eligible for safe harbor for success-based fees

RFP
Tax Hot Topics | Target not eligible for safe harbor for success-based fees In an IRS chief counsel advice (CCA) memorandum (CCA 201624021), the IRS determined that a target corporation in a deemed asset acquisition isn’t eligible to elect the safe harbor for success-based fees under Rev. Proc. 2011-29 because the target couldn’t treat the transaction as a covered transaction.

On Dec. 31, 2012, the shareholders of an S corporation (Target) sold all their outstanding stock to an acquiring corporation (Acquirer). Target and Acquirer elected to treat the transaction as a deemed taxable asset acquisition under Section 338(h)(10). In connection with the transaction, Target incurred success-based fees. On its timely filed 2012 tax return, Target deducted 70% of its success-based fees and capitalized the remaining 30% of the fees. Target attached an election statement to the return under the safe harbor allocation of Rev. Proc. 2011-29.

The IRS noted covered transactions under Treas. Reg. Sec. 1.263(a)-5(e)(3)(i) through (iii) include only the following:  
  1. A taxable acquisition by the taxpayer of assets that constitute a trade or business
  2. A taxable acquisition of an ownership interest in a business entity (whether the taxpayer is the acquirer in the acquisition or the target of the acquisition) if, immediately after the acquisition, the acquirer and the target are related within the meaning of Section 267(b) or 707(b)
  3. A reorganization described in Section 368(a)(1)(A), (B) or (C) or a reorganization described in Section 368(a)(1)(D) in which stock or securities of the corporation to which the assets are transferred are distributed in a transaction that qualifies under Section 354 or 356 (whether the taxpayer is the acquirer or the target in the reorganization)

Regarding Treas. Reg. Sec. 1.263(a)-5(e)(3)(i), the IRS indicated the language provides that the provision applies only to the acquiring taxpayer, not to the acquired taxpayer. Thus, regarding asset acquisitions, the term “covered transaction” applies only to the acquiring taxpayer, not the acquired.

The agency also noted that the transaction didn’t qualify under any of the other covered transactions listed under Treas. Reg. 1.263(a)-5(e)(3). Specifically, Target could not demonstrate stock ownership after the acquisition, so there was no “taxable acquisition of an ownership interest in a business entity.” The transaction also didn’t qualify under the reorganization provisions listed in Treas. Reg Sec. 1.263(a)-5(e)(3)(iii). Accordingly, the IRS determined that Target wasn’t eligible to elect safe harbor treatment under Rev. Proc. 2011-29 for its success-based fees.   
 
Tax professional standards statement
This content supports Grant Thornton LLP’s marketing of professional services and is not written tax advice directed at the particular facts and circumstances of any person. If you are interested in the topics presented herein, we encourage you to contact us or an independent tax professional to discuss their potential application to your particular situation. Nothing herein shall be construed as imposing a limitation on any person from disclosing the tax treatment or tax structure of any matter addressed herein. To the extent this content may be considered to contain written tax advice, any written advice contained in, forwarded with or attached to this content is not intended by Grant Thornton LLP to be used, and cannot be used, by any person for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the Internal Revenue Code.

The information contained herein is general in nature and is based on authorities that are subject to change. It is not, and should not be construed as, accounting, legal or tax advice provided by Grant Thornton LLP to the reader. This material may not be applicable to, or suitable for, the reader’s specific circumstances or needs and may require consideration of tax and nontax factors not described herein. Contact Grant Thornton LLP or other tax professionals prior to taking any action based upon this information. Changes in tax laws or other factors could affect, on a prospective or retroactive basis, the information contained herein; Grant Thornton LLP assumes no obligation to inform the reader of any such changes. All references to “Section,” “Sec.,” or “§” refer to the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.